Friday 13 July 2018

Book Review: The Lavender Shores Series (Books 1-4) by Rosalind Abel

Titles: The Palisade, The Garden, The Veranda & The Shipwreck
SeriesThe Lavender Shores Series
AuthorRosalind Abel (pen name of Brandon Witt)
Publisher:  Wings of Ink Publications/ Amazon Digital Services
Release Date: June 2017, July 2017, August 2017, September 2017
Heat Level: 4 - Good amount of sex
Pairing: Male/Male
Length: (230 pages), (264 pages), (260 pages), (292 pages)
Genre: M/M Romance

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/series/207415-lavender-shores



A note from the reviewer (warning, it's a little long):

You may, or may not have noticed, that for the most part, I haven't put up any reviews of the M/M Romance books I read, and out of all of the books I read in a year, I'd say about 25% are M/M Romance, 10% Mainstream Popular Fiction and 65% LGBT Fiction. There's a big reason why that breakdown is the way it is. Let me explain.

When I was a young gay lad, growing up and becoming aware of my sexuality in the 80's (yeah, I'm that old), it was a scary time. The TV was full of newscasts and images of young dying gay men as health officials warned about the dangers of GRID (gay-related immune deficiency) and for a while, it was even called the gay plague. Attitudes towards the LGBT folk were not good. Thank goodness we've got past that (mostly), and although HIV is still an issue, and people should always put their health first, it's also on us to be educated about the disease and treat those with HIV with respect and compassion. That said, all the fear mongering, bigotry and hatred from those formative years kept me in the closet a little longer than the kids of today.

But it was also a time when the LGBT Rights movement made enormous gains, which began with Stonewall back in June of 1969. But regardless of the advances being made, it was very hard to find good gay fiction. In fact, media representation of the Rainbow Tribe was often negative or horrifyingly stereotypical.

Now, here I am, approaching 50 years old, and there's a lot more literature to choose from, which is kind of nice. So, I'm making up for all those years I didn't have people like me in the books I read. We've still got a long way to go with diversity and representation in literature, and with #ownvoices authors writing and being published, but, we're getting there.

So I choose to focus a lot of my reading time on good LGBT lit. Having said that, I love my romance - and to be honest, I only found M/M Romance about a year and a half ago.

Now, I don't care who you are, where you are from, or what name you use to publish your books under, all I care about is that the book I'm spending my time on, and my money, is clever, intelligent and memorable. I also know, not every story is for every reader, even if it fits into those categories (I still am not a big fan of cozy mysteries! Sorry [don't throw rocks - it's not nice]).

But, every now and then you come across an author whose words sit well with you. They have an ability to sweep you away, get you caught up in the story and remove you from the reality you live in, and place you in the world the author has created. This takes a special kind of talent. It's extremely difficult to take black and white worlds and weave worlds with texture, sights, sounds and smells - but a good author can.

And so let me introduce you to Rosalind Abel, a pen name of Brandon Witt. When I read my first Rosalind Abel book (The Palisade) I actually had no idea that the author was a gay man using a pen name. And then I became instantly hooked, but for a couple of reasons.
1.) The stories are good, fun, made me laugh, more importantly, made me feel.
2.) The stories, although written under a woman's name, come from the perspective of a gay man, and again I'll say - don't care who you are - just tell me a good story. But there's something special - a unique connection that occurs when the person telling the story is able to draw and pull from their own experiences and relate them in their stories.  I don't mean they are using their personal real-world experiences - I mean they can translate the feelings and emotions from their time in the world, how it was for them, and use that in their writing - and it shows. Brandon Witt does this to me time and time again with his Lavender Shores series.

And so, this is my first entry into my blog that reviews some M/M Romance books. I hope after reading this you're inspired to pick them up and read a few of them. And, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Rosalind announced the other day on her website and on FaceBook that the Lavender Shores series will continue on with 12 books each focusing in on different couples from the small town. I'm only on book 4 and so I have a lot of time to go visit the streets, and shops, characters and families of the Californian west coast village I've grown to love.

Brandon/Rosalind - thank you for inviting me into your world. It's quite a lovely place.

The Palisade:



My Review:

4.5 Stars
I devoured this book. I think it had been too long for me since my last M?M Romance book, so this got ate up real fast.

The Palisade is exactly what I expect out of a Romance Book. Good looking guys, some kind of issue that needs to be resolved and then a happily-ever-after ending. This story has it all in spades, along with injections of humor. It was also a quick, hot, easy read - in other words - perfect for what I needed at the time. Oh, and can I say - THANK YOU - for depictions of real sex? That was a nice change. I've read some stories of late that had wild and crazy sexy fun time, and some physical impracticalities, and scenes of "wait, what? They are having sex now?" Abel's written intense descriptions of the heat between these two main characters, which is not only on the mark, but the sex also happens at appropriate times. The sex is a natural part of the story and the reason the two men bond.

Joel is a bit of an asshat (at first), not gonna sugar coat that, so there it is. I suppose when he turns things around at the end it means this story ends up being about redemption. Several times throughout the book I wanted to choke Andrew as his level of self-esteem seemed atrociously low, especialy considering that everything else in his life was going well and all that was left was to find that special someone. Don't throw rocks at me - I know there are many out there who never find a partner - I get it, but Andrew has the looks, the job, a supportive family...it was sometimes hard to reconcile his angst and need when so many other things were quite positive. Both of the leads shed tears a little too quickly for my liking...but again, I have to re-emphasize: Romance = Fantasy. And in this case, Rosalind Abel delivers muscled men, who are affectionate and sensitive.

Things move fast in this book - which may put some off - but I can't lie - I've been there. You sleep with someone and then become inseparable for a period of time. Granted, those relationships never lasted for me but then I'm reading these kinds of stories because you want to cheer and root for the characters. I hope that Joel and Andrew with their cabin in the forest and a glorious view of the ocean and the palisade last forever.

I've already picked up the next book in the series. I'm looking forward to the continued adventures of the Lavender Shores men.

My Rating:


The Garden:




My Review:

Once again, Rosalind Abel Delivers.

If you're looking for a feel-good romance, with characters who are a little broken, this is a great quick and easy read.

The characters tie unto the first novel from Lavender Shores series, but I was happy that Gilbert and Walden (some unusual names - which was also fantastic) were front and center and the other characters from the first book, Joel and Andrew didn't take over at any point.

I was particularly entranced by the fairy magic garden. That's all I'll say - you'll just have to go be enthralled on it all on your own.

Well done and on to the next in the series!

My Rating:


The Veranda:




My Review:

Once again, another installment of this series does not disappoint. This story revolves around Lavender Shore's therapist Donavan and his love interest (his ex-brother in law!) Spencer.

I'll admit, though, the idea of taking on your sister's (even if it is your half-sister) ex as your lover is a bit...well, odd, but Rosalind Abel's message throughout the book is quite clear. Be true to yourself, and everyone deserves to be happy.

Let's face it - sometimes it takes a while for us to 'get it right'. So, I was okay with setting aside the awkward familiar relationship - and to be honest, it certainly created strife and controversy!

And what's a good Romance book with a little controversy?

On to the next book!

My Rating:



The Shipwreck:


My Review:

Well, Rosalind Abel has done it again.
This one made me laugh, and on a couple of occasions, made me a little teary - and I RARELY get that way with any book. So, kudos to you Ms. Abel, well done.

Some may say that the storylines in M/M Romance are a little far-fetched, and to some extent, I would agree, however, as with any movie I watch, or book I read, I'm not always looking for an identical copy of what happens in day-to-day life. Sometimes it's nice to just go with the story and get lost in it. Every single one fo the Lavender Shores titles I've read to date has managed to do that for me.

The characters are real, I feel like I know them.
The dialogue is believable, not forced.
The sexy bits are hot and scattered throughout the story when appropriate.
The family antics - although this family is WILDLY supportive - are dreamy. My family was pretty supportive of me coming out, but nothing like the Bryant/Kelly clan. Wow, that family is the stuff of dreams - but I think the father, Robert, would drive me insane.

So for the past 4 days, I've been mesmerized and entertained. I've managed to forget about the real world (which right now, isn't necessarily a nice place to be in given current political situations) and I've felt a little giddy watching two people find each other, go through the awkward and exciting first date moments, overcome obstacles and relationship issues, and eventually fall in love - with a huge Happily Ever After.

Thank you, Rosalind, for making a little corner of my world just a tiny bit brighter.

My Rating:

Buy Link: https://tinyurl.com/ydeoa5gy

Meet the Author:

As I've mentioned, Rosalind Abel is the pen name of Brandon Witt. So, here's Brandon's Bio from his website:

Brandon Witt is many things.  Above all, he is living the dream.  After years of writing and reaching for the stars, he is a published author through Dreamspinner Press.

He has two pen names as well:
Rosalind Abel--MM Romance
Mildred Abbott: Cozy Mysteries

For the first eighteen years of life, Brandon lived in a small Ozark town, El Dorado Springs, Missouri before moving with his family to Colorado. There he got degrees in Youth Ministry and Special Education and worked as a counselor and special education teacher for fifteen years.

The tension of his religious upbringing and being a gay man finds its way onto nearly every page in his novels, as does experiences that over a decade of loving children who have faced much abuse and many struggles.  Reflecting what he has discovered to be true in life, Brandon's writing does not shy away from challenges and conflict but also revels in the joy that can only happen when truly embracing and loving all that life has to offer. 


But the inspiration for Rosalind is a story in itself, and I encourage you to go read about it HERE.

Rosalind has her own website: https://www.rosalindabel.com/
And Twitter: https://twitter.com/rosalind_abel
And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rosalind.abel.71

If you'd like to meet the man behind Rosalind, and I highly encourage you to do so, you can catch up with Brandon here:

Brandon's Website: https://www.brandonwitt.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wittauthor
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandon.witt
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wittauthor/

________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment