Monday 2 April 2018

Book Review: The Moth and Moon by Glenn Quigley

Title:  The Moth and Moon
Author: Glenn Quigley
Publisher:  NineStar Press
Release Date: March 19, 2018
Heat Level: 2 - Fade to Black Sex
Pairing: Male/Male
Length: 63000
Genre: Alternate Universe, Historical, LGBT, historical, gay, friends to lovers, sailor, baker, pirates, family drama



Synopsis

In the summer of 1780, on the tiny island of Merryapple, burly fisherman Robin Shipp lives a simple, quiet life in a bustling harbour town where most of the residents dislike him due to the actions of his father. With a hurricane approaching, he nonetheless convinces the villagers to take shelter in the one place big enough to hold them all—the ancient, labyrinthine tavern named the Moth & Moon.

While trapped with his neighbours during the raging storm, Robin inadvertently confronts more than the weather, and the results could change everything.

My Review:

I think it would be safe to assume that for most readers, we want to be swept away by a story. We want to be fully immersed in the setting, live in the characters heads and completely escape from our own present reality.

Well then, have I got a book for you. Let me introduce you to Glenn Quigley and his debut novel The Moth and Moon.

I don't think I managed to get to the end of the first page before I found myself already swallowed up by the storytelling. Quigley masterfully snatches the reader and plunks them down into a 1700's fishing village where the world might be devoid of all the technology we have today, but is lush and full of details. I swear I could smell the ocean as I read this - and I live in a land-locked Canadian province. There isn't a huge body of water anywhere near me. And yet, I was walking along the shores of Blashy Cove, passing through the various stores and merchants, and having a strong apple cider in the local village hub - The Moth and Moon.

The entire story revolves around Robin Shipp, a big bear of a man, clumsy, yet endearing, whose family's history colours how the townsfolk interact with him. And yet, despite their repugnant treatment of the man, he continually shows grace and kindness. Note to self - a good lesson for all of us to learn.

Of note - in Blashy Cove, the residents are perfectly able to take up and marry or be involved with any individual they'd prefer, and in fact, the matriarchs of the town often conspire to match-make couples of any gender configuration. What a delight - perhaps we'll get there in our own timeline sometime soon.

The author does a stupendous job of creating stress and tension as the impending storm seeks to bring about destruction - and having lived through two hurricanes myself (when I attended University on the East Coast of the US), I can assure you that Quigley adequately captured the intense feelings that come with the weight of doom that Mother Nature is quite apt in dolling out. The attention to detail is staggering, and yet, it never detracts from the story.

As the storm arrives, the interconnectedness of the citizens of Blashy Cove come to a front, as histories and prejudices are aired and confronted. The characters are real, their situations and reactions are believable, and I found myself rooting for Mr. Shipp on every page, despite the horrendous treatment he receives, and the lies that he discovers.

The book is utterly heart-warming. The connections between the townspeople need to be mentioned as well. In a small town, everyone knows or knows of, everyone else. Stories are shared and told, truths are stretched and sometimes broken altogether. The dynamics were perfect, the scandals are relatable as similar situations continue to occur even today. In other words, despite the time frame, this story has something that everyone can nod and say, "Yup, I know someone that happened to."

That right there is what I call "relatableness" (Yes, I know, that's not really a word, but I'm making it one) and that quality is, as far as I'm concerned, what makes a book stand out from all the others.

This is a definite must-read, and I am eagerly awaiting anything else that Mr. Quigley puts to paper.

Rating:


Available At:



Meet The Author:

Glenn Quigley is a graphic designer originally from Dublin and now living in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. He creates bear designs for www.themoodybear.com. He has been interested in writing since he was a child, as essay writing was the one and only thing he was ever any good at in school. When not writing or designing, he enjoys photography and has recently taken up watercolour painting.

Author Links



No comments:

Post a Comment